This is my third summer of having a kid at the beach (and now i have two kiddos)! I thought I’d give moms and dads some tips & tricks for beaching with kids – inspired by Finding Dory (I don’t want you to “forget” anything)!
I live at the beach. Before I had kids I used to go most weekends with friends and cheap beer in a solo cup. After I had my first kid, my occasional trip became the once in a blue moon because I was afraid about the amount of work it took to get everything you need for a 1-year-old and two adults. Now that I’ve been beaching with kids for three summers, I’ve learned a couple of things. It’s all about confidence, patience and better alcohol. And some of things I’ve listed below:
- A tent. With little ones a tent is a must. One that blocks UV Rays is key.We got ours at Bed, Bath and Beyond (with a 20% off coupon!)
- Water ring sling. I have an infant – but that doesn’t keep us from the beach. We spend a lot of time around water and I need my hands free to be on 2-year-old watch. This is key for a stress-free beach trip with a baby! You can order one online at Beachfront Baby.
- Snacks. We usually stock up on fruit and chips. Finger foods that the kids can grab and go are best. Our kids don’t have the patience for anything longer (they are too busy building the next sandcastle!). Have a snack that is their favorite/special. Ours is fruit snacks. We use these as a bribe to get our 2-year-old to sit down to reapply sunscreen or drink some water to stay hydrated. We got these Finding Dory fruit snacks in a jumbo box at Costco!
- Mommy & Daddy Juice. We believe if you are spending the day at the beach, a cold drink is a must. However, our local beaches are alcohol free. So, we stick our drinks in coffee tumblers! They hide the drink and they keep them cool for longer! Win/win!
- Beach Cart. How else are you supposed to carry everything? I stick everything in the beach cart, I wear the baby in my water ring sling and its basically a hands free trip through the sand! We ordered ours off of Amazon.
- Friends/Family. I don’t do beach trips without at least one extra person that loves my kids almost as much as I do. Beaching is fun, but it is hard with tiny ones. The items listed above are great- but without an extra set of adult hands its near impossible for me!
Want to visit other fun Finding Dory inspired blog posts this month? Check out this Month of Finding Dory !!
Today I’m Drinking: Natty Greene’s Lexington Spring IPA